After today's announcement about the Arcata Police Chief's resignation, Arcata City Manager Karen Diemer sent an email to local media to answer frequently-asked questions.
Diemer also released Chapman's brief letter of resignation.
From Karen Diemer:
- What can you share about why Chief Chapman resigned?
The Chief's decision does not stem from any one single thing. It is a combination of personal reasons and professional judgment on what he believes is best for the Department and himself. He has served for over 24 years.
- We have also heard that Tom Parker has stepped away from an active role in the David Josiah Lawson Investigation. Are those two actions related and will efforts might be made to retain Parker?
Chief Chapman was unware of Tom Parker’s final decision to step away from his current role in the investigation when he made his decision to resign.
Tom Parker has agreed to be available by phone for continued consultation on the investigation.
- Did either Tom Chapman or Tom Parker submit a formal letter of resignation?
Chief Chapman’s letter of resignation is attached.
- In the interim, who is currently acting chief?
The City will provide an update on an Interim Chief by next week. This week our Lieutenants will be trading off as Acting Chief as is common when the Chief is away from the Office.
- Has David Josiah Lawson's family filed a claim or lawsuit against the city?
The City has not received any claims or lawsuits filed by members or representatives of Lawson’s family.
- What does this mean for the David Josiah Lawson Investigation?
The investigative team for the David Josiah Lawson case is solidified with members of both the Arcata Police Department and District Attorney Investigators Office. This team will stay in place and focused on the case through its completion.